Wednesday, May 31, 2006

You know what we need more of . . . Mayflies

Anyone who has travelled through the Beaver Valley recently or any time near the end of May has experienced this . . .

(To self) - is it getting cloudy up there - wait . . . what the . . .

But its too late. Your windshield is now completely coated in Mayfly carcasses.

This situation sucks, but what sucks even more is when you leave your windows open because of the apocalyptic heat, and the mayflies take this as an open invitation to invade your car and use it as the scene for a disgusting insect orgy. Of coure after mayflies mate, they die, leaving a carpet of dead mayflies all over the inside of your car.

The best part came after I brushed off the front seat of my car and got in. I closed the door causing the layer of spent insect bodies that had built up at the bottom of the window to be blown into my face. I was not impressed. One of my coworkers that winessed this was.

I'm still working on finding all the dead bugs in my car. I vaccuumed it out, but I know there are some still there and I'm sure that I will be finding them for weeks.

BALLS!

The good news is that tomorrow is the start of June, so in theory all the mayflies will be gone. Welcome Junebugs!

Ciao for Niao
Junk

7 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Well, just be thankful you don't have to deal with poisonous stinging, carnivorous land sharks with guns in their mouths.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Sincerely~Dana said...

I have a solution! Get your air conditioner fixed! ;) Yes, that's right. I am Brilliant.

Sincerely~Dana

6:55 PM  
Blogger Junk in the Trunk said...

That would cost more than my car is worth!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Lydia said...

Hehe, that's not a difficult task! (Costing more than your car, that is...)

10:14 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Hey Joel that sounds pretty gross being bombarded with May flies.... yucky! My brother did research on May flies when he was at school, he actually had to seek out and voluntarily stand in the swarms for some unknown reason (?)
(part of why I did NOT major in Biology, the C on the report card was the other one)

2:01 PM  
Blogger Sincerely~Dana said...

You know you are going to have to get a new car eventually. Make sure it's nice too....or I won't let you drive me around anymore.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Tourguy said...

Hey, they can be annoying. I remember when I was a youngster we used to vacation in Port Dover Ontario. Sometimes the flies were so heavy that they had to sand the steets to prevent cars from sliding into one another. It was really weird to see sand trucks out on the streets in July.
What Joel didn't tell you that it was my vacuum he used to clean out his car. Now I've got dead May flies in my vacuum's canister.
Can you compost May flies???

4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home