Thursday, January 26, 2006

Hell week - get used to it

Next week is going to be fun - Once it's over. I have three major projects within four days. One of those projects is my final recital, which is supposed to sum up the last three years of my life. The other two are related to each other and are pretty much another final project. On top of that I have Tests in both of my night classes, and I work three days a week. Needless to say January has been difficult.

I explained this all to my private bass teacher, and he related to me the events of the past weekend which involved him flying to Paris* - Flying to Nice - driving to Cannes - checking into a hotel - doing a soundcheck - a half hour later, playing a one hour show - going out for dinner - going to the hotel - sleeping for 3 hours - checking out of the hotel - driving to Nice - Flying to Paris - Flying to Toronto. Apparently this all happened within about 72 hours and as you can see included only 3 hours of sleep. All this was surrounded by a number of late gigs and a few recording projects.

Basically what he was saying is "get used to it". If you're planning on being a professional musician there will be times like this. The difference is that he's a session player and does a lot of different gigs. I would prefer to be in a band - one gig, different locations, possibly just as busy.

This picture was taken a while ago, but I think is shows how I'm feeling right now.

*Sorry Tom, I know what you were hoping for with the Paris** link

** fine there it is

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The second Paris is not the least bit appealing. Gross!

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home